Sunday, August 16, 2015

Escaping Pain by Seeking Pleasure


"We continually try to get away from pain by seeking pleasure, and in doing so, we just keep going around and around. I'm so hot I open all the windows, and then I'm so cold I put on a sweater. Then it itches, so I put cream on my arms, and then that's sticky, so I go take a bath, and on and on. 

We are always trying to get out of the boiling pot into some kind of coolness, always trying to escape and therefore never really fully settling down and appreciating.

That's called 'samsara.' In other words, we're always working in that framework of trying to get comfortable through political beliefs and philosophies and religions and everything, trying to gain pleasure in all that occurs."
  

Pema Chodron, "The Wisdom of No Escape," p. 75