Monday, August 17, 2009

In the Gallery: 'Lily Pads, Shaw Island,' by Jo-Ann Iannotti, OP

Presently, in the Marie Louise Trichet Gallery are works which comprise the second of our three retrospectives to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the gallery. Each of the artists have had a solo show in the gallery since it opened in April, 1994. In the upcoming weeks, we will feature on our blog one of the pieces in the show and a brief reflection by the artist who created it.

Gallery hours are Monday - Saturday 10 am - 4 pm. The present show will run until August 22, 2009.

Sister Jo-Ann says: "Photography was not the art I first identified with when I was a teenager. It was the word. It was writing and the power of the word. It was the wonder at what 26 letters, when rearranged over and over again, could do to bring one into another realm deeper than where one started that fascinated me.

"And, yet,somehow it's been photography that has done the same thing as I look and look again at objects, people, shapes, angles, and shadows. They lure me into engagement. They all "speak their own word" and I come back to the original me!

"I remember so well the first flower that asked me to take its picture. It was the flower of a dogwood tree. After that, I was hooked, and never looked back or doubted again.

"I continue to look and listen."