Mysterious and alluring objects are my points of departure into the adventure of making art. New mediums set me and the objects in a given direction, but one that invariably changes... Ultimately, my goal is to generate new forms that challenge, provoke, humor subvert and engage. My work explores processes of transformation. It does not express preconceived
notions but ideas in progress."
"Totems" by Susan Rood
My images come from within. I do not start with a preconceived vision. The figures I draw suggest stories that relate to my life. However, I hope that they have a universal quality as well. After I select a journal drawing for use for a print or painting, the spontaneous process of creation ends. The drawing my be reworked many times before it is carved into a linoleum block or used on a canvas. The process is almost antithetical to that which is used for the preliminary drawing. The final image implies the duality of artistic expression where the inner and the outer worlds can meet."