Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sr. Rosemarie Greco interview on Wisdom House solar panels


Following is part on an interview with Sister Rosemarie Greco, DW on “Rich Answers” for radio WRCH-FM, 100.5. The program is a service of the Conference of Churches.

INTERVIEWER (I) – “Going Green” is a term that has been in our vocabulary for several years now. It refers to sustainable living and practices that are good for the environment. In one sense, “Going Green” is practical and wise because it looks to promote the health of all people and all of our planet.
One significant initiative in sustainable living and renewable energy is taking place at Wisdom House Retreat and Conference Center. Rosemarie, I understand that 80 solar photovoltaic panels have been installed on a roof at Wisdom House. How did this come about?

Rosemarie (R) – I began research on the possibility of solar panels at Wisdom House in 2008. But even before that, some of our programs focused on the environment, water, climate change creation spirituality and care of creation. We began taking small steps to reduce our carbon footprint and to operate the retreat center in more environmentally friendly ways.  Along with these came the hope of participating in renewable energy through solar panels but, in 2008, the cost was more than we could take on.

I – Cost is always a factor to be considered even when the idea is sought after.

R – Yes. Because of ‘cost’ I had to put the idea and the project on hold. There were grants and incentives available to home owners and commercial businesses but not for non-profit organizations such as Wisdom House.

I – Did anything change with this?

R – Last November, the Litchfield Energy Task Force sponsored a workshop on energy. I attended and browsed through the information tables. I lingered at the Solar Energy booth and learned from the representative of Litchfield Hills Solar that the State of CT, through its Clean Energy Fund (now named the Clean Energy Finance and Investment Authority), just announced grants for non-profit organizations. I got so excited! Meetings followed, feasibility studies were done, applications got written, and in April 2011, I received an email confirming a grant of $50,500 toward the solar photovoltaic installation of 80 panels.

I – How great that was! As you look at these panels now, what do you think?

R – I think how good it is that we are contributing to the health of the planet and its people and how we are reducing our dependence on fossil fuels. I see this as a spiritual commitment as well as a practical action. What we do is an expression of our values and our spirituality. Care of the environment created by God is now our responsibility.

For more information visit www.wisdomhouse.org and click on “Learn More” at the solar panel photo on the home page.